using BIDS remotely to install a SSIS package

• Hi Folks,

I am using BIDS remotely from my SSIS (Integration Services) server to import a package. After I create the package I goto File> Save copy of package to save the package to SQL server. The problem is when I choose package path I get the error

An OLEDB error 0x80004005 (login timeout expired) occurred while enumerating packages..

Further details are:

I am using SQL 2008

The user I am logged on as has SSIS admin priviledges (db_ssisadmin)

When I use the same user on BIDS on the actual SSIS server itself all is ok.

The remote machine I am using BIDS on has a copy of sql 2008 installed but I have turned off all the services to make sure it was not the problem

Please help!

• Have you taken a look at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlintegrationservices/thread/8da717ef-05e0-4a59-9a91-a96e29d4dfa6/[/url]?

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• more info:

My feeling was that my local BIDS installation was linked to the integration services instance on my local machine so I could not connect it to the server I wanted.. so I removed SQL server from the machine and reinstalled BIDS by itself. When I reinstalled and created a new integration services project this error came up.

Microsoft Visual Studio is unable to load this document.

To design Integration Services packages in Business Intelligence Development Studio, Integration services needs to be installed by one of these editions of SQL Server 2008 Standard, Enterprise, Developer or Evaluation. To install Integration services, run SQL server setup and select integration services.

How can I make VS look at a different Integration Services install on another server?

• i find that post during my search

i have the same problem

is there a way to connect to remote ssis from within BIDS

or

i should i install ssis on every BIDS machine, and no way for centralized ssis server?

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• i want to design SSIS package using BIDS using remote SSIS server.

so, how can i configure BIDS to design SSIS package.

sure, as you said, i can deploy SSIS package remotely.

from within BIDS, i created a new SSIS project, data connection to the remote database and datasource.

i connected to the remote integration service from within SSMS.

when i try to create a new ssis package , A red Icon is displayed on the design with the message:

"microsoft visual studio is unable to load this document: To design Integeration services packages in Business Intelligence Development Studio, Integeration services has to be installed by one of these editions of sql server 2008: standard, enterprise, developer or evaluation. To install Integeration Servicess, run SQL Setup and select Integeration Services."

so i can not use the toolbox to design my package

It seems that for design i should install SSIS service on the client machine.

• when i try to create a new ssis package , A red Icon is displayed on the design with the message:

"microsoft visual studio is unable to load this document: To design Integeration services packages in Business Intelligence Development Studio, Integeration services has to be installed by one of these editions of sql server 2008: standard, enterprise, developer or evaluation. To install Integeration Servicess, run SQL Setup and select Integeration Services."

so i can not use the toolbox to design my package

It seems that for design i should install SSIS service on the client machine.

I don't understand what you are saying because you can develop SSIS package and run the code in BIDS without installing SSIS but to run the code in remote location the remote server needs to run SSIS or your code that runs in BIDS will not run in the remote server. You have the option to use eval for 6 months then buy the developer it is under $50 online. If you need to run code in a remote box some body you or the person who is running the remote server needs to pay for SSIS instance.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply