I have setup both our SQL test-environment and production environment, both are two node clusters.
I installed SQL Server first, and then mereley replaced the default installations folders with mount-point-folders via rename, xcopy /o <renamed-folder> <new-folder-with-default-name>
OS: WS 2008 R2 Enterprise
SQL 2008 R2 Standard
Some things I learned doing this are:
-there is a bug in Windows when setting permissions on the mounted folder - one has to do that first from disk management (right-click partition and set permissions). I had quite a lot of error messages doing that and it was impossible to just close the properties dialog by clicking Ok, I had to use Cancel. But afterwards the permissions are right if one checks.
-The amount of free space has to be checked for each "mount-point-folder" since the amount of free space in the root folder only show how much it is free of the root disk.
-When done and documented: Very nice to have one folder structure per sql instance and still have different write cache policies for data-folder, log-folder and temp-db-folder on each LUN that is used for mount point folder in the underlying storage system! 🙂