Using Active-X Script Task

• Hello Everyone

Just for a check, I would like to use an Active-X script task to view the value of a package variable.

I just used the MSGBOX("Message Here"), but how would one include the package variable? Or is there a better way to quickly check and view the variable value.

Thank you in advance

Andrew SQLDBA

• You have to include the variable as a ReadOnlyVariable in the script properties page.

There is an easier way to do this. Set a breakpoint and use the Watch window. This will let you look at your package variables in debug mode.

John Rowan

======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• I was just readying about how to set a Breakpoint and see the variable in the Watch window.

I used to have to do this in DTS. I am getting used to SSIS, but it feels like things are coming slow.

Thanks

Andrew SQLDBA

• These are some of the things I had to learn too moving from DTS to SSIS. The visual studios environment gives you much better troubleshooting and debugging features. I used to use activeX message boxes like crazy, but the watch window w/ breakpoints is a much cleaner way to debug. Let me know if you have any problems getting it to work for you.

John Rowan

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Andrew,

for quick dislay

in script task use : msgbox Dts.variables("VariableName").Value.Tostring()

in Active-X scrit task use : msgbox DTSGlovalVariables("VariableName").Value

if you are not familier with Breakpoint ...

• Here is a link to a how-to video from Kathi Kellenberger that I just viewed yesterday:

http://www.sqlshare.com/BreakpointsinSSIS_806.aspx

• Very nice, I will try both. I do like the Watch window. But I will keep the Message box code handy as well

Thanks everyone

Andrew SQLDBA

• You know, I think the version that I am using here in the office does not have the Breakpoint , Locals and Watch windows.

I am using MS Visual Studio 2008 version 9.0.30729.1 SP1

I watched the video, but I am not able to perform most of the things in the video.

Thanks

Andrew SQLDBA

• AndrewSQLDBA (8/4/2010)

You know, I think the version that I am using here in the office does not have the Breakpoint , Locals and Watch windows.

I am using MS Visual Studio 2008 version 9.0.30729.1 SP1

I watched the video, but I am not able to perform most of the things in the video.

Thanks

Andrew SQLDBA

I have VS 2005. I did not have those windows displayed at first either; but once you set your breakpoint and hit the Start button, you will see menu items for those windows under the Debug menu. A toolbar also appears for these, but not until you actually begin debugging.

• I finally figured that out the hard way. LOL

Thanks

Andrew SQLDBA

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply