Using a variable in Excel Connection Manager

• I am trying to create a package that will import a file using the filename from a SQL table. I first created the package to read a single filename and it worked fine. Now I am trying to add a SQL task before the Data Flow that get the filename from the table. I set the result set to Single Row. Gave the result set a name and selected my variable name (ImportFile). In addition to ImportFile I have two other variables which are FilePath and FullPath (FilePath + ImportFile). On the Excel connection manager I set the ExcelFilePath to FullPath and changed DelayValidation = True. When I run the package I get an error that it cannot acquire a connection from connection manager.

Any Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

connvarsSQLTask

• Run the package in debug mode to determine exactly when the error is generated. Also to be 100% certain that the connection string being assembled is in the right form.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Try setting a breakpoint just after the SQL task and verify the variable values returned by the task are what you expect.

• Also try to set the DelayValidation property on the DataFlow task itself.

A safe approach I usually follow in these scenarios is to create an empty template file with the same layout, and use that as the default value in the connection manager.

• Thank you. That  is exactly what I needed to do. I created a template file and used that to set the connection to the excel file/sheet. I had tried this previously without success so I think it was the combination of this and setting the DelayValidation property.

Thanks again to everyone that took the time to respond.

Scott

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply