using 32-bit ODBC driver on 64-bit system

• Hi

would appreciate some advice if possible please.

We have SQL2005 64-bit running on Win2008 64-bit.

We have had to install a 32-bit ODBC driver (Progress 10.1c) because no 64-bit version available.

When running SSMS import/export wizard, we cannot see the 32-bit driver....any advice/ideas on how we can import using this driver.

Incidentally the driver is only displayed in the OS when using the 32bit ODBC administrator version.

Thanks for reading.

gah

• I have bad news for you: that just won't work.

Try one of these:

Find a different 64 bit driver, get a 32 bit server, or pray that someone has written a 64 bit wrapper (unlikely).

~SQLBOT

• That certainly is bad news.....but thanks anyway

to clarify...is that 32-bit SQL AND 32-bit OS ?

gah

• ....update

have installed SQL2005 32-bit alongside exg 64-bit version

from SSMS i just want to run a simple data import using the 32-bit ODBC driver already installed.

When I right click a db and use the import/export wizard, I still cannot see the ODBC driver in the data source....should I be able to?

was quite straighforward in SQl 2000....

• I would have thought that installing SQL 32-bit on a 64-bit OS wouldn't have worked at all, but regardless of that, you can't expect a 32-bit ODBC driver to work at all on a 64-bit OS, regardless of anything else. Trying to mix the two environments isn't going to help. I know it's bad news, but it appears there just isn't any known solution at the moment.

Steve

(aka smunson)

:ermm::ermm::ermm:

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

• Hi Steve

we have successfully installed 32-bit SQL 2005 (Std) side by side with 64-bit SQL on Win2008 64-bit.

We installed the 3rd pty ODBC driver using odbcad32.exe

I am new to SQL 2005 and was somewhat expecting to see the driver available in the import/export wizard data source (as per SQL2000) ...it doesnt...you have to use "New Framework Data Provider for ODBC" and then enter the DSN string.

from there, we encountered another issue..."copy tables and views" is greyed out !

This I think is do with the driver itself....here is a link to SQL 2008 BOL that refers to this

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177262.aspx

anyway...we can now construct a query to extract the data.

We have also created a linked server...and it works!

regards gah

• Holy OLE_DB, Batman! Looks like I'm way off here. I'd been led to believe by other sources in the past that this wasn't realistic... Mucho Congrats!

Steve

(aka smunson)

:Wow::Wow::Wow:

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

• That makes sense.

32 bit SQL Server is running in 32 bit emulation mode on the X64 platform.

Everything in its execution space would then run in 32 bit emulation mode, so the 32 bit driver works.

Great solution!

I'll keep it in mind if it ever comes up for me.

~Bot

• There should be 64 bit options for progress. Progress should support it, and I used to work for Openlink www.openlinksw.com which did support it with a choice of options in 2003. You will likely get charged, but it should be cheaper than an SQL Server instance.

• jgrubb (10/29/2008)

There should be 64 bit options for progress. Progress should support it, and I used to work for Openlink www.openlinksw.com which did support it with a choice of options in 2003. You will likely get charged, but it should be cheaper than an SQL Server instance.

We are migrating from Progress 9.1E to OpenEdge 10.1C and as far as we are aware there is only one native 64-bit odbc driver and that is for HP-UX on Itanium.

Having played arond around with this 64bit config and all the issues it raises for us, we are going to revert back to 32-bit OS and 32-bit SQL.

Not only have we got to connect to Progress, but Synergy (various versions) as well...think this will just lead to a lot of tears over the coming few years if we stay on 64-bit.

oh well...:rolleyes:

• Openlink does have an option where they can have a generic client driver and keep all integration on a seperate server, and can also wrapper other odbc drivers and gateway the queries. It does work, and a bunch of their business was replacing the progress provided drivers.

Check them out before writing it off. Note that I no longer work for them, and actually left under bad circumstances. But their stuff does work nicely for bridging these kind compatibility issues.

• Thanks for the info, it is appreciated.

regards gah

• I use 64 bit windows a lot and have no problem using both 64 bit and 32 bit ODBC drivers.

To administer 32-bit ODBC drivers on 64 bit windows run the 32 bit configuration tool

C:\windows\syswow64\odbcad32.exe

for 64 bit drivers the ODBC admin tool is

c:\windows\system32\odbcad32.exe

The 64 bit images of system files are in system32 for backwards compatibility reasons. 32 bit images are in syswow64 folder.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply