use/unused databases

• hey guys is there any system tables (column flags) that would indicate that a database is still in use?

• None that I am aware of although there may be something in the DMV's.

• i was looking at system table sysperfinfo column 'active transaction'.

can this be used?

• No that I know of. You can set auto-close on databases you suspect are not being used and they'll close and log a message in the error log if they are opened.

• ok i just did what u said setting autoclose on, looking at the log i noticed a lot of "starting up database dbname" would this indicate that users or applications are still accessing the databases?

thanks

• Denby (8/1/2008)

ok i just did what u said setting autoclose on, looking at the log i noticed a lot of "starting up database dbname" would this indicate that users or applications are still accessing the databases?

thanks

Someone is accessing them, either via SQL (backups or the like) or a custom app.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• How about sp_who2?

• You could try this:

select ISNULL(s.login_name,s.nt_domain+'\'+s.nt_user_name) as Login_Nm,

DB_NAME(r.database_id) as Database_Nm,

r.status

from sys.dm_exec_requests r join

sys.dm_exec_sessions s on

r.session_id = s.session_id

Warning: This was lightly tested on my laptop's SQL 2K5 Dev instance. You may want to test it a bit before you deploy it.

I believe all of the databases returned are actively engaged by a session. You could modify the T-SQL to exclude system databases.

I hope it helps,

Ken

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply