User vs. Instance\User

• Hi All,

In SSMS, in the users area under security for a specific database, what is the significance of 'user' vs 'instance\user'? I opened up the properties for each and can't seem to see the difference. Is one for Windows Auth and the other for SQL Auth? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• If you look at the properties of each one of those users, you will see that the user with the instance\username is a windows user and those users without the instance are SQL users.

The instance can be from the domain or from the server (local windows group).

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks Jeffrey,

Where at in the properties does it explicitly say SQL Auth vs. Windows Auth? I'm content knowing that the instance\user implies Windows Auth, I'd just like to get a better handle on it. Also, when I script user and instance\user to a new query window, the statements are identical, save for the actual username. What am I missing?

Thanks!

• Alright, so I was being a bonehead and looking at users, not logins. I see exactly what you're saying about the properties showing whether it's windows auth vs. SQL Auth. I was looking at the security heading under a specific database, not the security section for the instance.

Thank you kindly Jeffrey!

• Ahhh, yes - should have been clearer and stated that it shows up under logins. If you script the login, you will see the difference.

For windows users it will look like:

CREATE LOGIN [instance\user] FROM WINDOWS ...

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply