User Provisioning Tool on 2008?

• Greetings,

I am having trouble connecting to a 2008 instance from a remote client running Vista. When I connect with a admin account from the remote client, it works fine, but the normal account (with reduced SQL permissions) is unable to connect. It works just fine when I remote into the server with my admin account and do a run as to launch SSMS under the normal account. The error I get (18456) is similar to the error on 2005 if you haven't run the User Provisioning Tool for Vista. Is there a similar program for 2008? I've searched for sqlprov.exe (the 2005 version), but haven't found anything.

Thanks for the help,

Tim

• You'll have to set up the regular user account to access the server. If I'm understanding your post correctly.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I'm not sure if I understand your post 🙂

The Users group on the server has Our domain/Domain Users so everyone has access to this server.

Is there something else?

Thanks,

Tim

• Are you connecting via Management Studio on the Vista machine, or via remote desktop? I guess that's where I got lost in your first post.

I've used Vista to connect to 2005/2008 without difficulty, so long as it was logged into the domain correctly.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Got it.

When I RDP to the server (admin account) and run SSMS as the normal user it works.

When I try and run SSMS from my client (normal user) running Vista, it does not work.

Tim

• I'm assuming that you're logged into Vista using a domain account, that it's not Home version (meaning it's either Business or Ultimate), and you're connecting (or at least trying to) using Windows authentication.

If all those are true, I'm not sure why you'd have a problem, since I've done exactly that literally thousands of times. (I've been using Vista that way since it was in beta and never once had a problem.)

Is it possible that you have a firewall issue? SQL connecting on a different port than RDC and being blocked?

Property of The Thread

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply