User Logins logged to NT Event Monitor?

• How do you set whether users logins (specifically to OLAP cubes) are logged to NT event monitor?

• Jay, I dont know, but we'll try to get someone looking! Give us a day or two. Are you using SQL 7 or 2k? If you're in a hurry, you may want to post to the MS newsgroups as well.

Andy

• We are using SQL 7 on NT 4.0. We have a test and prod server, it is being logged on prod, but not on test. So I know it's possible, just not very obvious.

Thanks

Jay

• Haven't done much work on OLAP, but most logins raise an event. I'd guess there is an alert set on the server.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Nope, no alerts. We only have the standard DEMO: alerts and none are enabled. I passed over something today on the web that mentioned setting something up with SQL logging. But I can't find a window for that. Maybe a red herring....

Jay

• Can you run a complete Profiler (everything) and then log in on production and see what is called? You might be able to catch something here.

Also, is there any 3rd party software on the production server? I'll look around and see what I can find.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• You mentioned that you are seeing users logins in the event viewer for one system (prod) and not the other (test). I'm assuming you mean NT logins? Also, are ALL logins (even local logins to the box) being recorded?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Profiler does not reveal anything. Both test and prod results look the same.

No third party software. Both are pretty plain jane MS installations. The only difference is that test is NT SP6a / SQL SP2 and prod is NT SP4 / SQL SP1. That should not be a factor.

The events are being captured under Application Log events with:

Source = MSSQLServerOLAPServices

Category = Server

User = N/A

with the description = User SICPA\jharper opened connection 4 from RENW0031

Local logins are being captured under Security Log events for both servers.

Thanks

Jay

• How to decide for nonclustered or clustered index

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply