User DB permissions

• hello, i would like to know if there's any way, i can check what specific securables / permissions / grants a user have besides the sp_helprotect ( if you have like 500 db user accounts, can get a little bit messy ).

i remember on SQL 2000 , if you right clicked in user properties, you could check in "permissions" button what permissions a specific user had on objects assigned with any kind of permission to that specific user.

im looking particuraly to a way to check on a GUI ( SSMS or any other kind of "free tool" )

thanks in advance 🙂

ps. sorry if english not completely clear 🙂

• you can go into the login at the server level in the security/logins folder to see what server level securables the login has, then at the DB level in security/users you can see the securables it has at the db level. if the account has a special role like db_owner rights you might not see anything in securables as its implicitly granted.

this is at a per user basis, if you want to do something in script you can link together sys.database_permissions with sys.database_principles and sys.objects

i have attached the a copy of the system views poster to help you link around the DMV's, its created on A0 so I wouldnt print it unless you have a big enough plotter or want lots of A4 pieces lying about.

• there's any program that can show me this info visually ( GUI ) ?

• other than management studio. im not sure.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply