User Creation

• Hi,

I have two questions b4u.

1)I want to create a user that can only do backup and restore operations.

2)Does a windows account having Admin rights in the OS will have SA rights in the server.

tips are greatly appreciated.

• 1 - assign the users the db_backupoperator rights

2 - It can. If the Windows group has been granted the sysadmin role, they do. This is set up by default, but can be removed. Be careful removing this as it's a great backdoor if you drop the last DBA, forget the sa password, etc.

• There is role named db_backUpOperator. You can assign the user you create to that role.

-Roy

• Can a backup operator role restores a database

• Created a user with backup operator rights,the problem is when it comes to restoration.I think we have to kill other process to restore the database, which is not possible with out dbowner right.

Does anyone have a solution for this.

Regards

Ratheesh.K.Nair

• Here are lines from Books Online:

If the database being restored does not exist, the user must have CREATE DATABASE permissions to be able to execute RESTORE. If the database exists, RESTORE permissions default to members of the sysadmin and dbcreator fixed server roles and the owner (dbo) of the database (for the FROM DATABASE_SNAPSHOT option, the database always exists).

• That means only dbowner and roles above that can restore a database right..

• Yes, you are 100% right.

Also if you want the user should be able to take backup of each and every database, he should be member of db_owner (which is NOT RECOMENDED) role or db_backupoperator role. But this also create another scenario where you need to grant him permission for every new database that is created on that server (But you can always use model database for such purpose).

Regds,

R@j

• Thanks alot buddy....:)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply