User can't connect to any servers via name; only IP (SSMS)

• One of my users is having an issue connecting to any of our SQL instances via name in SSMS, but she can connect fine via IP. She can ping the name of the server and get a response. I checked SS Config Manager, and she doesn't have any aliases listed there. She can also use Windows Explorer and server names to browse network files etc. (Update: now 2 users are having the same problem)

I and many others can connect via name.

EDIT: Any ideas? (left out my question!)

Also, the version of my SSMS is 10.0.4 and hers is 10.0.16 (pre-release), so I'm installing service pack 1 on her machine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My SQL Server Blog

• Sounds like a permissions issue.

When "connecting to any of our SQL instances via name in SSMS" What credentials is she using?

Have you checked her login and user account for the database(s) that she is attempting to access?

What permissions does she have?

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• She's connecting via Windows Authentication. She can connect via IP, so I didn't figure it was a permissions issue. She's currently working in SSMS by connecting via IP, but I want to restore her ability to connect via server name.

Edit: grammar

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My SQL Server Blog

• amenjonathan (5/19/2011)

One of my users is having an issue connecting to any of our SQL instances via name in SSMS, but she can connect fine via IP. She can ping the name of the server and get a response. I checked SS Config Manager, and she doesn't have any aliases listed there. She can also use Windows Explorer and server names to browse network files etc. (Update: now 2 users are having the same problem)

I and many others can connect via name.

EDIT: Any ideas? (left out my question!)

Also, the version of my SSMS is 10.0.4 and hers is 10.0.16 (pre-release), so I'm installing service pack 1 on her machine.

1. Is the SQL Browser service running on the server?

2. Can the user reach the server on port 1434 UDP? You can check this using PortQryV2

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• opc.three (5/19/2011)

amenjonathan (5/19/2011)

Stuff

1. Is the SQL Browser service running on the server?

2. Can the user reach the server on port 1434 UDP? You can check this using PortQryV2

1. The browser service is indeed running, as I and at least 2 others can connect via name.

2. I'll check...

My SQL Server Blog

• It sounds like the user has a firewall on her desktop that is blocking udp 1434.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Well it looked as though her firewall was not on at all, but we have corporate Semantec running our client firewalls. So as not to let anything go untested, I specifically added UDP 1434 to the exclusions list, and still she could not connect.

BUT! I then changed the client side timeout from the default 15 seconds to 45 seconds, and she can connect via server name, so it's definitely a network / hardware issue. It does make sense as many of us have been experiencing small delays in connecting to anything (2 or 3 second delays).

It's probably worthwhile for me to check the network throughput on our SQL boxes though...

Any other thoughts?

My SQL Server Blog

• You can check the SQL servers themselves, but I would start with the network in this case. If she is seeing >15 second delays connecting then it is something between her hardware and the server since the rest of you are only seeing 2-3 second delays.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Her machine is due for a refresh in 2 months, so her hardware performance has been a problem for awhile. Also, I just spoke with one of our network guys, and the domain our clients connect to is fairly laggy right now.

I don't think I can do any more for her. I've advised her to connect via IP if it's any quicker for her, and to be patient with the network issues for now. The network guys are working on the lag (or not working on it).

Thanks for the help, everyone!

My SQL Server Blog

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply