User account question/error

• I am getting an error like the following

The job failed. Unable to determine if the owner (domain\username) of job testjob has server access (reason: Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'domain\username'. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 8198)).

I get this error when I change the owner of the replication jobs from sa to an authenticated user. The reason I am trying to change this is because I noticed that my merge replication wouldn't connect to the subscriber unless I had the exact same sa account and password setup on both the publisher and subscriber. Is it really necessary to have the exact same sa account on all subscribers to get replication to work? Has anyone else encountered this and found a better work around? thanks

Keith

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• That has nothing to do with the owner of a job. You should turn it back to an admin account.

The type of autenthication was setted up during the creation of the distributor, publication and subscriber. This can be changed from the distributor, in the subscribers properties, or also manually editing the distribution agent job, in the step that runs the distribution agent.

Also check in BOL the parameters of the distribution agent. for example to change to win autenthication, you can change the parameter -SubscriberSecurityMode 1, etc.

• Well I am back to my original problem now that I have changed the owners of the replication jobs back to an admin account. Just in case it matters I am using merge replication. I get the following error now when it tries to push out the subscription. Login failed for user 'admin accountIt seems that it only wants to use the admin account anytime it tries to attach to the subscriber. If my admin account passwords aren't the exact same I get this error. I shouldn't have to setup the same admin account on all my subscribers, or do I? I have tried changing the Merge Agent's profile to use the Windows Synchronization Manager profile without success. The one place I found the securityMode it was a value of 1. Am I missing something obvious here? If someone could offer me some advice it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Keith

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply