User Access

• Hi,

I have an Windows 2012 R2 Server hosting a 2016 SQL Server, I have admin access to the windows server. The SQL server only has the default sa admin user account.

I want to use VBA to create a connection to the server to return some data to excel using the following connection statement;

sConnString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=192.168.1.15;" & _

"Initial Catalog=CMDB;" & _

"Integrated Security=SSPI;"

This works for me, but not for anyone else. I'm assuming the Integrated Security=SSPI means my local windows account has permissions set up for the SQL Server or maybe the windows server (not sure how it works).

What do I need to do to allow access for other users?

• your best bet is to set up a domain group and give that group permissions in SQL for your database.

then your domain admins can add other users to the group and you won't have to worry about it. If an employee leaves then they get disabled in active directory

failing that - if you are not on a domain then I would switch to SQL authentication and create a new SQL account (not SA) to run with

I have seen an odd way of doing it in the last few weeks... when an administrator grants you access to the application it creates a SQL login, same name as your windows account with a password that is calculatable by the app based on the username... It's horrible, hackable and really does nothing more than windows authentication does.

MVDBA

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply