Use of IDENTITY_INSERT?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Use of IDENTITY_INSERT?

KSB
    -----------------------------
    Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Knowledge and happiness never decreases by being shared.” - Buddha

• Thanks for the question!

• nice and simple, thanks 🙂

• OK, this one was too easy 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Both Question and answer don't have sufficient information about target.

What is the purpose of IDENTITY_INSERT ?

And answer

SET IDENTITY_INSERT allows explicit values to be inserted into the identity column of a table.

SET IDENTITY_INSERT is not meaningful and you can not identify result until ON or OFF is not include in this statement. SET IDENTITY_INSERT it self not allows explicit values to be inserted into the identity column of a table until you don't include ON in this.

• Developer 2005 (8/11/2010)

Both Question and answer don't have sufficient information about target.

And answer

SET IDENTITY_INSERT allows explicit values to be inserted into the identity column of a table.

SET IDENTITY_INSERT is not meaningful and you can not identify result until ON or OFF is not include in this statement. SET IDENTITY_INSERT it self not allows explicit values to be inserted into the identity column of a table until you don't include ON in this.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188059.aspx

Read the first two lines of this document...

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• da-zero (8/11/2010)

Developer 2005 (8/11/2010)

Both Question and answer don't have sufficient information about target.

And answer

You forgot to mention permissions or it won't work. Cmon people, it was a simple question that if you want to know more about it follow the link that was posted. I think some people are just mad they didn't get their points. 🙂

Seriously though, thank you for the question.

• Good question, thanks

Steve Jimmo
    Sr DBA
    “If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

• hi da-zero

you are right and also that is mention in msdn.

but we can do both by this statement,either insert explicite or implicit.for more clearity ,it should be include.

• Thanks for the question.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Somehow QoTD regularly reinforces recently acquired knowledge. Like this....thanks.

• This was easy.

SQL DBA.

• Pretty straight-forward question if one understond the question right. Thanks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply