Use configuration files from network share

• Hi all,

just one short question.

I execute SSIS-Packages with sql server agent. All packages are stored on a network share (because of mirrored databases). Now I want to use configuration files to configure my packages.

I do not want to copy the configuration files to both mirrored servers. Is it possible to tell sql server agent that my configuration file is located on a network share? I tried it by scripting the job out and modifiing the path to the config-file - the job is running fine, but it's not using the values from the config-file 🙁

Thank you!

• Does the user that is running the job in SQL Agent have access to the network location? If you don't change the runas settings, then that user will be the SQL Agent service user. If you run the job as a different user, then that user will need access to that network location.

Russel Loski, MCSE Business Intelligence, Data Platform

• The user running the job in sql agent has access to the network location. The network location is the same where the package is stored.

• I would ask what messages are being returned, I'm pretty sure that if it doesn't use a file passed it will indicate why..

CEWII

• There are no error messages returned, it's like if there was no configuration file. the package is using its stored configuration values and runs fine...

• Why don't you execute it with the full command line and see exactly what is returned.

It might not be an error but I have seen it return something when it couldn't use it for some reason.

CEWII

• Make sure you use the full UNC path, depending if you are running DTexec from Operating system job type you should be using /CONFIGFILE "\\configserver\drive$\filelocation.dtsConfig" setting.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply