Usable Features in Compatability Mode 100

• Hi SSC,

We've recently upgraded to using SQL 2014 up from 2008 (hooray!). I've been told we're planning to keep the compatibility level at 100 though for the foreseeable future because of "things like changes the cardinality estimator". However I was also told that many 2012+ features can still be used in lower compatibility modes, like FETCH/OFFSET and some of the new window functions.

Loosely speaking, I was told programming features like THROW, TRY_PARSE, FETCH etc are probably usable, whereas
    "physical" features would not be usable.

My understanding of compatibility levels was that they allowed you to upgrade the server product, while keeping the database behavior - all of it - the same, but I would think that would preclude using features like THROW from being used at all.

If this is in fact the case that you can use various upgraded features even in a lower compatibility mode, is there a resource I can look up to see what can and cannot be used in this manner?

Executive Junior Cowboy Developer, Esq.[/url]

• Xedni - Friday, May 12, 2017 12:49 PM

Hi SSC,

We've recently upgraded to using SQL 2014 up from 2008 (hooray!). I've been told we're planning to keep the compatibility level at 100 though for the foreseeable future because of "things like changes the cardinality estimator". However I was also told that many 2012+ features can still be used in lower compatibility modes, like FETCH/OFFSET and some of the new window functions.

Loosely speaking, I was told programming features like THROW, TRY_PARSE, FETCH etc are probably usable, whereas

My understanding of compatibility levels was that they allowed you to upgrade the server product, while keeping the database behavior - all of it - the same, but I would think that would preclude using features like THROW from being used at all.

If this is in fact the case that you can use various upgraded features even in a lower compatibility mode, is there a resource I can look up to see what can and cannot be used in this manner?

The closest thing I've ever seen would be in the Compatibility documentation on Microsoft's site. You may want to check this section of the documentation for your situation:
    ALTER DATABASE (Transact-SQL) Compatibility Level

Sue

• Sue_H - Friday, May 12, 2017 1:45 PM

Xedni - Friday, May 12, 2017 12:49 PM

Hi SSC,

The closest thing I've ever seen would be in the Compatibility documentation on Microsoft's site. You may want to check this section of the documentation for your situation:
    ALTER DATABASE (Transact-SQL) Compatibility Level

Sue

Thanks Sue,

I looked there too,  but didn't find  anything all that relevant to what I was hoping to find.

Executive Junior Cowboy Developer, Esq.[/url]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply