Urgent! Multiple SQL Instances

• Hi,

I installed a new SQL 2014 instance to a server that already has an SQL instance running. Both were running fine after installation. But after I rebooted the sql server, now I found I could only have one SQL instance running at the same time. Why is that? How can I resolve the problem?

I'm running the SQL server on AWS if that means anything.

Thanks.

• Did you check the service status in the Configuration Manager?

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Yes, that's how I found out I can only run one instance at a time. I thought one server was overwritten by another at the very beginning. But when I checked the Config Mgr and found only one instance running. When I tried to start the stopped instance, it failed. But I can switch between the two instances to have either one running, but not both at the same time.

spaghettidba (2/22/2016)

Did you check the service status in the Configuration Manager?

• Michelle-138172 (2/22/2016)

Yes, that's how I found out I can only run one instance at a time. I thought one server was overwritten by another at the very beginning. But when I checked the Config Mgr and found only one instance running. When I tried to start the stopped instance, it failed. But I can switch between the two instances to have either one running, but not both at the same time.

spaghettidba (2/22/2016)

Did you check the service status in the Configuration Manager?

What error do you get when you attempt to start the instance?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks, all. The problem is now resolved. As was suspected, I changed the port number to 1435 for one of the instances so the two were not conflicting. It's working now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply