Urgent help needed= Please help

• I have a 1000 record excell sheet and I need to import this into sql database. How much disk space is required?

• What is the size of the each record or what datatype and size you have in the file?

Use import/export to see what data types does excel have.

[font="Tahoma"]
    --SQLFRNDZ[/url]
    [/font]

• Absolutely no way to say from the information you've given. You haven't said how many columns the spreadsheet has. You haven't said anything about the data in those columns.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I know I am sorry to provide the insufficient information. All I know is this document has 1000 records and I have to break it down into about 10 tables with different data type for example ( varchar, text,number,identity field, int, etc.)

• No way to estimate that without knowing more....could be single character rows to full rows...drastic difference in size.

• hydbadrose (9/15/2011)

I know I am sorry to provide the insufficient information. All I know is this document has 1000 records and I have to break it down into about 10 tables with different data type for example ( varchar, text,number,identity field, int, etc.)

If possible post a sample row for each table and out of 1000 how many rows does each table takes?

More information= Effiecient solutions:-D

[font="Tahoma"]
    --SQLFRNDZ[/url]
    [/font]

• hydbadrose (9/15/2011)

I know I am sorry to provide the insufficient information. All I know is this document has 1000 records and I have to break it down into about 10 tables with different data type for example ( varchar, text,number,identity field, int, etc.)

Could you please check the size of the Excel document? 😎

Either way, a thousand rows in a Excel document shouldn't cause a dent on space allocation on any database.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • The answer is 42.

• NJ-DBA (9/15/2011)

The answer is 42.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

...sorry 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply