Urgent help needed

• Hello everbody,

we have a serious problem a SQL2K SP3a server on W2K Sp4. Everytime someone opens the server properties in EM the system get's extremely slow and existing connections are disconnected. None of the logfiles (SQL server, Agent or NT eventlog) registers any errors. What I can see is that a lot of lock escalations happen from shared locks to exclusive tablelocks and SCH-S locks.

I tried running the stored procedures used by EM like xp_instance_regread and xp_msver in Query analyzer and that works fine. But EM causes a virtual stand still.

Also after one of these incidents the SQL server performance counters are no longer available and DBCC SQLPERF(waitstats) produces only 0 values.

This system is used by an online banking application, so it's very important we find a fix soon. Any help is welcome.

Tia Markus

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• what is the memory utilization on the server?

what is the status of maintence jobs, you should be able to see the status of any jobs run via the Event Viewer (Application Log) section...

check Total Server Memory (SQL Server: Memory Manager), Available MBytes (Memory), Page Faults/sec (Memory)

also check taskmanager, which process is using the most CPU, Memory, Page Faults...

how long has the server been up? (look in the event viewer Source = eventlog, Description = The Event log service was started), reboot might be inorder.

is there anything running on the server that is NOT supposed to be running on that server?

what is the backup model for the database in question?

how big is the transaction log? (sp_helpfile in Query Analyzer)

hope this helps...

Regards,

Joe Burdette
    hanesbrands.com

• Hi Joe,

thanks for your reply. All the jobs are running fine. The databse is in full recovery mode and transaction log backups are made every hour. The memory (4gb) is more or less all used, but I can't give you exact numbers on how much sql server uses since we lost the perfomance counters. They might come back after a reboot, but at the moment that's not an option. Taskmanager says sql server only uses ca. 150 Mb, but I doubt that very much.

Looking ito DBCC Memoystats it looks like it's more like 2 Gb. The server has been rebooted earleir this week because we had this problem since last friday. According to the application guys nothing has changed, but I have my doubts.

Anyhow we can now reproduce the problem and it's definetly related to opening the server properties in EM. In the mean time we build up another server, but Im still very much interested what is wrong.

By the way it makes no (real) difference if you use Em on the server or on a client workstation. If anything it seems worse when doing it on the server itself.

Markus

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply