Upsizing From Access to SQL Server

• We have an application that is written in XP (can also save as 2000 of course), that we would like to upsize to SQL Server 7. Have never done this before.

Anyone have any good links that would help me thru this process?

Does everything for Access convert? Queries, forms etc. ???

Thanks alot

Joyce

• We'll have to work on some links, I dont think we have much if anything. Not everything will convert, or even make sense to convert. Forms don't get moved, SQL has no form designer. Tables and select queries are good places to start, you can just link those back into the mdb.

Andy

• Like you, I have been an Access Developer for many years, and am a new "Convert" to SQL Server. I can HIGHLY recommend a book for you: "Microsoft Access Developer's Guide to SQL Server" by Mary Chipman and Andy Baron (SAMS Publishing). The book is very much what you need.

[p]

I also am making good use of "SQL SERVER 7 Developer's Guide" by Michael Otey and Paul Conte (McGraw-Hill).

[/p]

[p]

Honestly, finding the MS Access Dev. Guide to SQL Server was like finding a compass deep in the woods (every now and then, if you keep looking, you are lucky enough to find such a book.)

[/p]

Good Luck!

Ross Ylitalo

ross@rossroads.com

Ross Ylitalo

ross@rossroads.com

Ross Ylitalo
    ross@rossroads.com

• Just tables and queries (views in SQL).

Also if you are going to keep usin Access as the front end you will have a lot of server overhead appear and it is suggested you moe to a true application or web front end. As for the book mentioned "MS Access Dev. Guide to SQL Server" is a great book and tops in the helpfullness.

Note: Indexes and datatypes will have to be corrected when table imported as indexes are not created from source inforation and datatypes end up generic when imported and may not be the right ones.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply