Upgrading Windows Server 2008 Standard to Enterprise with SQL Server 2008

• Hey guys,

We're running out of time. During the new test env setup it was decided to run standard SQL Server 2008 on a standard Windows 2008 server. Environment was set up and the SQL Server was loaded with all DBs from the old test server. Perfect!

Now, as normally happens, it has been decided that the test env should look in all parts the same as the production env, which to me is a good thing. The production env will have two clustered w2k8 enterprize servers each running sql server 2008 standard in cluster.

My question is if it is possible to:

- upgrade current w2k8 standard to enterprize without the sql server 2008 installation not being affected (seems doable as far as I've read)

- set up new w2k8 enterprize and add it to the server cluster

- add another sql server standard node to the cluster on the new w2k8 server

or we'll have to redo it all... we'll definitely be losing a lot of time moving the databases again.

K

• Kristian Ask (10/14/2010)

Hey guys,

We're running out of time. During the new test env setup it was decided to run standard SQL Server 2008 on a standard Windows 2008 server. Environment was set up and the SQL Server was loaded with all DBs from the old test server. Perfect!

Now, as normally happens, it has been decided that the test env should look in all parts the same as the production env, which to me is a good thing. The production env will have two clustered w2k8 enterprize servers each running sql server 2008 standard in cluster.

My question is if it is possible to:

- upgrade current w2k8 standard to enterprize without the sql server 2008 installation not being affected (seems doable as far as I've read)

Upgrading the O/S "should not be an issue" We have upgraded alot of Stand-alone servers to enterprise with SQL installed no issues.

- set up new w2k8 enterprize and add it to the server cluster

Very easy Windows and SQL wise, Add node is pretty simple. just an FYI the network stack is a bit different between Win 2008 Server Std & Enterprise - that being said just make sure the Current box you are upgrading is not in a cluster before you add the new w2k8 box to the cluster

- add another sql server standard node to the cluster on the new w2k8 server

I believe sql server standard is limited to a two node cluster, so if your adding your 2nd sql node you should be good to go there.

or we'll have to redo it all... we'll definitely be losing a lot of time moving the databases again.

K

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply