Upgrading to Service Pack 2 with Always On H/A

• HI,

I need to update three SQL2014 SP1 servers to SP2. The three servers are in an Always on H/A group. Server A and Server B are synchronous commit and Server C is asynchronous.

After doing some reading on how to update and not loose my H/A configuration - my plan is to:

1) Run the Sp2 update on server C first
    2) Then run the Sp2 update on server B
    3) Then flip server B to make it the primary, making server a the secondary - then apply the service pack to server A 
    4) filp servera back to the primary

Questions:
    1) does this plan work - or am I missing some steps? I rally don't want to rebuild my H/A.
    2) Should I suspend all data movement in all my DB's first? (outage is okay) I can do that without issue.

• krypto69 - Wednesday, April 11, 2018 9:54 AM

HI,

I need to update three SQL2014 SP1 servers to SP2. The three servers are in an Always on H/A group. Server A and Server B are synchronous commit and Server C is asynchronous.

After doing some reading on how to update and not loose my H/A configuration - my plan is to:

3) Then flip server B to make it the primary, making server a the secondary - then apply the service pack to server A 

Questions:
    1) does this plan work - or am I missing some steps? I rally don't want to rebuild my H/A.
    2) Should I suspend all data movement in all my DB's first? (outage is okay) I can do that without issue.

This is the route to take

1) Set ServerC to synchronous and ensure all databases synchronise
    2) Run the Sp2 update on server C then reboot if necessary
    3) set server C to asynch
    4) Then run the Sp2 update on server B
    5) Then flip server B to make it the primary, making server a the secondary - then apply the service pack to server A 
    6) flip server A back to the primary

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• krypto69 - Wednesday, April 11, 2018 9:54 AM

HI,

Questions:

1) I think it works
    2) No

BTW, it seems A and B are in the same data center, while C is in another data site. If this is the case, I would upgrade B->C->A. You know, in the worst case,
    1. it's easier to rebuild AG in the same data center.
    2. Still have A, C right in service in both data center when rebuilding AG

GASQL.com - Focus on Database and Cloud

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply