Upgrading to 2016 - pros, cons, planning

• Hi,

I would like to show to my management if and why it's worth upgrading our sql server 2014 to 2016 - i heard a lot of good opinions on last sql saturday i've attended about 2016 release.

What i need to show them is, what are the pros in the new release comparing to 2014 and also create an upgrade plan. I done some googling and can't find any suitable article. Would you have any to point me to?

• Not an article, but...

Query Store is probably the killer feature. It makes it trivial to monitor performance, track query plans, etc.

The "It just runs faster" series of posts on the msdn blogs detail background improvements in SQL 2016

The SP1 changes that allow things like In-memory OLTP, Columnstore, Always Encrypted in ALL editions is almost enough to justify the upgrade if you're running Standard Edition.

Temporal tables, Always Encrypted, Row-level security, all very useful.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you Gail, Is there anything to keep in mind out of ordinary when upgrading?

When i was doing some testing in 2016 I've noticed that Catch-All queries (ones from one of your older article) don't have the same problem with "safe plan" like in previous version. Is that correct?

• I haven't specifically tested those, but there are no changes I know of to fix them in 2016. Stick with OPTION(RECOMPILE) on them.

From 2014 it should be a safe upgrade.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Will AlwaysOn just start itself after upgrade or do i have to set it up again?

• My best is Real-Time Operational Analytics

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply