Upgrading the GIS application and database.

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Upgrading the GIS application and database.

• Very useful reminder to look at the easy things to check first before searching for the obscure. Good article.

Graham

• Hate to seem picky, but did I miss were you said at the beginning what GIS stands for? If so, I apologize, but if not, you really should have defined it as early as possible, even in the title.

• Great to see the occasional article on GIS(Geographic Information System(s)) on the SQL site Hilda E! I have been a GIS Manager for the last 15 yrs and am preparing to move my GIS desktop based operation to a network based SQL operation. I have a new 64-bit server loaded with SQL-v12 and the new ArcGIS Server v10.2 all ready to go, but no time to make the move. I now plan to pay more attention to your advise of 'planning and consistency' as I move my operation into the future. I also plan to keep separate test and production environments. Glad you didn't fall for the old tact as others often do of one blaming the other for hard to remedy or intermittent errors---MS saying its an ESRI issue, and ESRI saying its a MS issue. Hope to see more articles on these new 'best friends' very soon!

• Not picky at all. Writing for an audience in my opinion is not an easy task. Most time I tend to forget that the reader may not and probably won't know everything I'm mentioning. Thank you for the note. I'll definitely keep it in mind for possible future articles.

Thank you.

• Thank you for defining GIS for me.

• Ha! You tricked me... I thought this was going to be about an issue with managing a GiS Database especially when it came to the ArcSde 9.3 to 10.0 upgrade. In addition to be a DBA, I'm also a GIS Analyst.

I've experienced that same up issue you experienced except the problem was that our server team thought they were just rolling out OS patches to the server but, actually rolled out SQL Server hot fixes and Cumalative Updates. We started experiencing the same thing when Master was corrupted and we tried restoring from backup. It took us a bit to notice that the versions were different since we were not expecting it. Once we figured that out, it was smooth sailing.

How has your upgrade been to ArcSDE 10.0? We are still using ArcSDE 9.3 but, I know there are some fundamental changes that occur there. The largest being that the geometry storage has changed from ESRI's format (SdeBinary) to native SQL Server Geometry format. The biggest gotcha I see for the DBA perspective is that spatial indexes are no longer created on the GIS side, so they need to be created on the database side.

Thanks for mentioning GIS, in my organization GIS is one of my heavily used databases and people tend to forget that it's stored on the same server as the rest of the databases and until recently people also treated it as something completely different than what it is... Just a database

• Andrew,

Besides the problem mentioned in the article, everything else went smooth. The upgrade was almost perfect. As a DBA you always experience and heard so many different problems and this particular one was worth mentioning. I'm glad is reaching DBAs and GIS analyst.

Thank you for your comment.

Hilda.

• Very interesting. We have this APP in house as well thanks for the heads up.

• Looks like we will hit this 'bug' as we are runnign SQL2008 SP3 and the fix is in CU3 for SP3. Wonderful.

• Indeed it is.

• Thank you for telling us what GIS stands for!!! The author seemed to forget!!!

• Tacky, tacky. This is good and I'll take the criticism openly "John Doe". After all that's why this is in a open forum.

• Interesting.... I just found out we are running GIS 10.0 on SQL2008 SP3 and check intergrity works fine.... hum... odd huh?

• Markus,

We're running SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1, it works good on this one, I believe the problem is on earlier versions.

🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply