Upgrading SQL CMS Server from 2008R to 2016

• Hi!

Some years ago, I deployed a SQL Central Management Server in order to ease the burden of administering our SQL infrastructure. I've been thinking about upgrading/migrating the CMS to SQL 2016, since SQL 2008 R2 is kinda getting old. Furthermore, we are always upgrading or moving to newer SQL version.

I've been having trouble finding any kind of documentation relating to that, migrating/upgrading CMS from 2008 R2 to 2016 without having to "scrap" everything.

Is there anything out there about this kind of migration? Is it possible? How can I change the configuration of somewhat 200 slave servers to a new master (SQL2016) server? Any compatibility issues between a potential SQL 2016 CMS master servers and SQL 2008 R2 slave servers?

Thank you,
    Eric

• You would most likely be using SSMS 2016 for this, which is perfectly capable of connect to SQL Server 2008 R2.  In your current setup, you can right-click the CMS in the Registered Servers window, point to Tasks and click Export.  Be sure to have it include usernames and passwords if you aren't Windows Auth across all the servers you connect to.  Then import the settings to your new computer that will be running the CMS.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply