Upgrading from sql server 2012 to SQL server 2016

• I upgraded the SQL server from 2012 to 2016 and it successfully completed with one error during upgrade.

The error is " Invalid Namespace" click retry the failed action, or click 'cancel' to cancel the action and continue setup. I clicked retry first but got same message again then clicked cancel and it went succesful upgradation. Later the db and functional testing completed.

have you anyone faced this issue, is it ignorable or any solution to fix this. As of now I completed this upgradation in dev environment but I need confirmation that no issue to implement in production env.

Please share your thoughts. Thank you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• This is a difficult problem to troubleshoot because very few details are given.

My guess is that it is a WMI namespace problem. I have seen WMI namespace errors in other situations but I have not seen this issue. There are separate WMI namespaces for SQL db, as, is and rs. Their name changes with each SQL version because it includes the SQL version number.

It is possible that the new SQL version wanted to access the old version namespace but built the name incorrectly. I have seen this issue.  However given the message presented it is not possible to say which namespace caused the problem or how to fix it. Equally it is not possible to say if this error will cause a long term problem for your system.

If you want to investigate this further then raise a case with Microsoft, but my experience is this may be more complex than they are able to fix.

The next issue is to ask why you are doing an upgrade in place, these are inherently risky. You need to plan how you will recover if the upgrade fails part way through and SQL refuses to start and cannot be uninstalled. I encountered this when testing upgrade in place. It is far safer to migrate to a new server than to upgrade in place.

The next question is why are you upgrading to SQL2016 instead of SQL2019. As well as being supported for much longer, SQL2019 is generally faster and more secure than SQL2016. You current plans are to upgrade from one obsolete version of SQL to another obsolete version of SQL.  Doing such an upgrade is short-changing your business, they can do more with SQL2019.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Google Search returned a couple of posts indicating it seemed to be SSRS error.

Check the install log files for details in cases of install errors. You might find more information there.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply