upgrading from 2005 to 2008

• Hi,

Please suggest me what are the measures to be taken on the database or server settings if we are suggesting our client

to upgrade from SQL 2005 version to 2008 version.

One of our client has an issue about performance degrade when they have upgraded their sql version from 2005 to 2008. In this scenario, what all do I need to check at the client side

to improve the performance. They have reporting database on which reports were working fine with sql2005 version and they are running slow on 2008 server.

Note :

No changes in schema

No new queries

Thanks for your suggestions

• Did you rebuild the query statistics when you changed servers?

Note this is a guess on my part as I am not an expert in performance tuning.:ermm:

• Compare the server level settings of both 2005 and 2008 servers. Are they same or missed something on the new server.

Also check the DB file layout , tempdb layout etc ..

--

SQLBuddy

• pmadhavapeddi22 (2/18/2014)

Hi,

Please suggest me what are the measures to be taken on the database or server settings if we are suggesting our client

to upgrade from SQL 2005 version to 2008 version.

One of our client has an issue about performance degrade when they have upgraded their sql version from 2005 to 2008. In this scenario, what all do I need to check at the client side

to improve the performance. They have reporting database on which reports were working fine with sql2005 version and they are running slow on 2008 server.

Note :

No changes in schema

No new queries

Thanks for your suggestions

Do a post upgrade checklist

https://www.google.com/#q=post+upgrade+checklist+sql+server

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• At minimum Microsoft recommends full update stats when you upgrade... however, I always rebuild the indexes as they recommend that if you have the time.

• Thank you all for your responses. As of Now, I have given scripts for rebuilding indexes. Yet to implement this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply