upgrading from 2000 to 2005

• Hi Everyone,

I have tagged a few friends and colleagues but have yet to see anything well documeted out there that would walk someone through this. I'm contracting at site that needs to move it's infrastructure to bigger and better hardware. One of many tasks is to upgrade replication to 2005. For better or worse this cannot be done in place. Really would like a detail step by step process that I can apply tear appart and add to if possible.

Don't think the strange replication matters to the conversation, who knows why people do what they do. Here's the senario thus far, i might find more before this is done.

Server 1  P/D/S   pushes one tbl & col  to server  2 & 3

Server 2 P/S      pushes same tbl except for the on col back to 1 and 3

Server 3 P/S     pushes data back 2.

All transactional replication currently on 2000  going to new servers 1, 2, & 3 on SQL 2005

Zach

John Zacharkan

• If it is inplace upgrade you upgrade distributor first then publisher and susbcriber...

If you are doing side by side upgrade it is better to create replication script in sql 2000 and recreate it after upgrade in 2005 with the script...

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• I had to migrate an SQL 2000 Server to SQL Server 2005. I had Transactional Replication configured with 20 remote Subscribers.

I uninstalled Replication on the SQL 2000 Server, migrated the Databases to SQL Server 2005 and reconfigured Replication on the new SQL Server 2005 Server.

Kindest Regards,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply