upgrading from 2000 enterprise to 2005 standard

• I am upgrading my 2 node cluster. since i cannot go from 2000 ent to 2005 standard just want to know which option are best to get to 2005 standard.

What i would like to know is has anyone upgraded from sql 2000 ent to sql 2005 ent and then downgraded to 2005 standard.

Would it be better to uninstall 2000 ent and reinstall the cluster under sql 2005 standard ?

Any help would on this issue would be great.

• ron morgan (7/20/2010)

I am upgrading my 2 node cluster. since i cannot go from 2000 ent to 2005 standard just want to know which option are best to get to 2005 standard.

What i would like to know is has anyone upgraded from sql 2000 ent to sql 2005 ent and then downgraded to 2005 standard.

Would it be better to uninstall 2000 ent and reinstall the cluster under sql 2005 standard ?

Any help would on this issue would be great.

[font="Courier New"]Disclaimer: I am NOT an expert DBA and I haven't done any major installtions.

I would recommend that you look at SQL Server 2008 instead of 2005. If you move to 2005 then you are looking at another upgrade in less than 2 years. SQL Server 2005 SP4 will come later this year and end of support in 12 months after that.

Also, I would recommend doing a side by side installation and do a backup and restore to the SQL Server 2005/2008 installation.

[/font]

[font="Courier New"]Sankar Reddy | http://SankarReddy.com/[/url][/font]

• I would agree with the advice for 2008. I'm not sure it makes sense to go to 2005 as support is already waning on that product (it's 2010, 5 years old).

You are correct that you don't have a supported upgrade path (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393%28v=SQL.100%29.aspx)

What I would recommend is that you uninstall and then reinstall the new cluster, new version. I would have backups on another machine, and also then detach databases, and script logins. Then do a complete re-setup with an attach to get things back to the way you need them. The backups are just insurance.

• First, I'm going to agree with some of the things already mentioned. You do not have a direct upgrade path for what you're wanting to do, and I'd also agree with going w/ 2008 (either R1 or R2 - they are both running the same end-of-life dates right now).

Now, where I differ. I'm assuming that since you're running 2000 ent, that you are also running on older hardware. Probably old enough to be near it's end-of-life also.

So, my suggestion is to get new hardware, and set up a NEW cluster. With SQL 2008. Then, do the detach/copy/attach routine to bring the database up live on the new server. BE SURE TO READ the 435 page SQL 2008 upgrade white paper, especially the parts on high availability. Setting up SQL on a cluster is done differently than in 2000/2005, and you need to be aware of what all you're facing.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (7/20/2010)

Now, where I differ. I'm assuming that since you're running 2000 ent, that you are also running on older hardware. Probably old enough to be near it's end-of-life also.

So, my suggestion is to get new hardware, and set up a NEW cluster. With SQL 2008. Then, do the detach/copy/attach routine to bring the database up live on the new server. BE SURE TO READ the 435 page SQL 2008 upgrade white paper, especially the parts on high availability. Setting up SQL on a cluster is done differently than in 2000/2005, and you need to be aware of what all you're facing.

[font="Courier New"]Good thought Wayne and tend to agree with you.[/font]

[font="Courier New"]Sankar Reddy | http://SankarReddy.com/[/url][/font]

• to re use the hardware, i would uninstall one node leaving the cluster effectively a single node cluster. I would then temporarily virtualise this system to keep it running side by side. Install the new system and then migrate across. If the applications that use the databases support SQL Server 2008 the it makes sense to go with that!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply