Upgrading a Sharepoint 2010 2008R2 Bi Site

• Ok

I've got a Sharepoint 2010 site running BI with PowerPivot, Performance Point, Reporting Services, etc all nicely configured.

We're planning to move it to a new piece of hardware and upgrade it to 2012.

What would anybody recommend on the order of doing this? i.e. If I were just upgrading from 2008R2 to 2012, I'd stand up a 2012 server, copy over backups and restore them, then start changing their compatibility levels.

But now I need to move stuff I haven't before... is it better to move my 2008R2 system to the new hardware, and then do an in-place upgrade to 2012? Or should I install 2012 and then somehow move the sharepoint system from the 2008R2 feature set to the 2012 environment?

Been looking for a white paper, but Google is failing me. So I'm wondering if anybody else has done this.

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• I haven't had the pleasure of upgrading SSRS to 2012 yet. Microsoft has published a SQL Server 2012 Upgrade Technical Guide (link below) that contains a chapter on SSRS. Let us know if that helps at all.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/5/3/9533501A-6F3E-4D03-A6A3-359AF6A79877/SQL_Server_2012_Upgrade_Technical_Reference_Guide_White_Paper.pdf

[font="Tahoma"]Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD[/font]
    Business Intelligence Administrator
    MSBI Administration Blog

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply