Upgrading a Database SQL 2000 to SQL 2005

• How do I determine if I have full-text search on SQL 2000 instance? I am getting this message with the upgrade advisor

"Upgrading will cause Full-Text Search to use instance-level, not global, word breakers and filters by default."

• Hi SQL,

We'll be upgrading from 2000 to SQL 2005 (in place) in a couple weeks and I have two questions.

1) We have ~240 db's totalling 530 GB of data, Any idea what kind of timeline we'll be looking at once the upgrade begins? Is there a rough GB/Min upgrade rate?

2) Second question, I figure updating the statistics after the upgrade completes could be quite lenghty, again any idea on whether we could be looking at 1 hour 10 hours?

Thanks,

Sp

• http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188414.aspx

One thing to keep in mind, after upgrade from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 or SQL 2008, it is best to run the following:

DBCC UPDATEUSAGE (0);

GO

this will prevent certain system functions and procedures (i.e. sys.spaceused or sysindexes) from returning an error.

example: A user runs select * from sysindexes (which I know is legacy, but some of us still reference these as we are too lazy to update our code). The following error is returned...

Attempting to reference database fragment 1 in database 'foo' which does not exist. Contact Technical Support.

Now run the following against the database:

1. dbcc checkdb to make sure you don't have a consistancy issue

2. If dbcc checkdb returns an error indicating an allocation unit ID error, run dbcc updateusage(0)

You may also find you get this same error on a database snapshot. I haven't found that there is anything you can really do since the DB Snapshot is read only. your best bet is to simply drop the database snapshot when you are done with it.

• Yes, I agree with sachin

• hi,

can u plz give me the script for deleting full text indexes while upgrading 2000 to 2005

Regards,

Jayapal

• Hi,

how to do side-by-side upgrade from sql server 2000 to sql server 2008 R2.

Asking for username and password while doing it, which username and password should be used?

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply