Upgrading 2005 (Std) db results in much larger size on 2008 (Ent)

• We have upgraded several SS 2005 (Std) databases to SS 2008 (Ent), moving from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008 (Datacenter). Not only do the restores take a very long time, but the restored databases are MUCH larger (e.g. 4x) than the same database in SS 2005. We have checked the obvious config options, but had no beneficial impact that reduces the database sizes. Any ideas what can be causing this?

Thanks very much!

• are u restoring over the network. what RAID is implemented. when u backup try creating partitioned backup. i usually setup 5 files. and then restore.

:crazy: :alien:

Umar Iqbal

• Restores are from local .BAK files, to RAID 10 SAN array. What config options (filestream, full-text, etc.) can cause this growth is db size? We also noticed that nvarchars are not trimming to the size of the actual data. Acting like nchars.

• do u find increase in log size only or data file or both. I have done many migrations and have seen increase in log size sometimes. But since my migrations were permanent , I used to shrink the log file.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply