Upgrading 2000 to 2008

• We are planning on upgrading our 2000 servers to 2005 this year. Would it be a better idea if we wait and upgrade to 2008 instead of 2005.

Will there be a big difference on features in 2008 compared to 2005.

Thanks,

Rushdi

• See here for the descriptions of the new features.

Paul Randal
    CEO, SQLskills.com: Check out SQLskills online training!
    Blog:www.SQLskills.com/blogs/paul Twitter: @PaulRandal
    SQL MVP, Microsoft RD, Contributing Editor of TechNet Magazine
    Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005

• Hello eveyone!

Seems here that we have professional environment, and of course need to know it would be better to upgrade or not because many time all new products need to test them in realtime not just testing with test servers!

We saw the features but your answer plz as profi if you have experience!

Thnx anyway and I like this forum!

😉

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

• That's not really a question we can answer for you. It depends on your application needs and business needs - do you need any of the new features in SS2008? How much testing does your business mandate before you go into production? DO you have to wait for SP1 or SP2? All these answers play into whether you should upgrade to 2005 or 2008.

Paul Randal
    Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005

• Rushdi,

as already stated there's always the issue if your company wants be an early adapter, with the risk of a new product which might include more bugs than is acceptable or wait until at least SP1 is released. Also if your using third-party applications the question arise if and when will they support 2008.

Steve Jones wrote article about this a while ago where he discussed some of the pro and cons.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Administration/3094/

You write that your company wants to upgrade this year. Being in a similar situation with a customer who wanted to upgrade this year, I told them already 6 weeks ago that the time to finish susch a project before the end of the year was not sufficient. Of course it depends on your environment (#server, databases and applications) how long such a project takes. But from my experience with previous upgrades I would say 3 months is about the minmum time for a well planned and tested upgrade project.

For my current client I proposed to upgrade to 2008 and they are accepting the risks. Of course they could wait for SP1 but even then your never sure that some bug might hit you. they use mainly application developped by themselves and probably won't use a lot of new features until 6 months after the upgrade.

The most critical point for them is when will SQL 2008 be released, because if we must postpone the upgrade other projects might need to wait as well. While at first it looked like 2008 will be released in Q1, I'm now hearing that this might be not before end of May. Also the relative long time they take to release another CTP indicates some delay. For my client this would be too late, so it looks like we have to stick to 2005.

I think a clear relase date would make life for a lot of us easier, but so far MS won't give me any more information. At least my customer agreed to wait with the final decision until the end of the year.

Markus

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• 2005 has a 70% revamped SQL engine from its earlier product S2K.

SQL 2008 is only a 20% improvised model from SQL 2005.(A few things have changed in replication, log sipping, clustering has better and simplified GUI now, Analysis Services is supported better).

So if you are looking to migrate from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 or to SQL 2008, it really does not matter.......... it will take almost the same time and effort to migrate to the latest version.

I would suggest you that wait for SP1 after the SQL 2008 is launched and then do the migration from SQL 2000.

I have done several migrations from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 and trust me there are a lot of issues that crop up related to TSQL enhancements and DTS to SSIS transitioning, lack of DB Library support, no textcopy, changed bcp utility, maintainence scripts due to schemas............. etc.

Expect to rewrite about 30-40% of the code during any migration.

Kindest Regards,

Kunal Gandre
    >
    Snr. SQL DBA

• Do we know for sure that you will allowed to upgrade/migrate from SQL 2000 to SQL 2008 without having to do a SQL 2005 upgrade/migration as an interim step (aka, a direct jump)? I see that you can go from SQL 7 to 2005 directly, but I need to know for my clients if they'll be able to do the same thing for SQL 2000 to SQL 2005; they've been putting off going to SQL 2005 so this becomes an issue.

Tom

• Yes, you can upgrade directly from 2000 to 2008.

Paul Randal

• A similar, but SPECIFIC question:

In SQL Server 2000 CLIENT TOOLS, I have used the SQL Query Analyzer (the program code was previous written & I just changed dates in the code & and ran it every month) and have seen a brief demonstration of SQL Enterprise Manager.

I understand that the SQL Server Management Studio in SQl Server 2005 (and 2008 ?) replaces those client tools from version 2000. Is it much different in 2008 than 2005 ? I haven't started learning 2005. Should I jump right to 2008 for these client tools or should I just use 2005 and not worry about 2008 right now ?

Thanks very much.

Alan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply