Upgradig SQL 2000 to SQL 2008

• Good day

I need to upgrade our live enviroment and just need to check if I got all my bases covered. You guys help would be greatly appreciated

1. I currently have SQL 2000 installed on the server, I will install SQL 2008 on the same server

2. Whats my best option, Can I just restore the database from SQL2000 to SQL2008 and migrate my DTS Packages accross

3. Can this be done, this way, is their anything im missing

4. Do I have to upgrade another way

Additional Info

I just have one database on there which is 150 Gig in size, the rest are the system databases

• Hi Faiyaaz,

If I understand correctly, you want to keep the SQL 2000 installation and install SQL 2008 alongside it and not upgrade the installation, right?

Whats my best option, Can I just restore the database from SQL2000 to SQL2008 and migrate my DTS Packages accross

There are a few ways of getting your database moved from the 2000 installation to the 2008.

1. A Backup / Restore as you described

2. The "Copy Database Wizard" : Right-Click the database in SQL Server Management Studio -> Tasks -> Copy Database

3. Manually detach the database and attach it to the 2008 instance.

4. Script out the database (for a 150GB Database, probably not the best option!).

In my opinion you are best off doing the backup / restore, as the original database will remain intact/available the whole time.

Can this be done, this way, is their anything im missing?

You can do it the way you said, but you need to make sure that any software that you use to connect to the database will be OK with using a different instance name.

If I am not mistaken (someone back me up here, or let me know if I am wrong), but the side-by-side installation will mean that the SQL 2008 installation will have a different instance name for SQL Server as the default MSSQLSERVER will already have been taken by the 2000 instance (unless you have a specific named instance).

I would also suggest that you extensively test the upgrade process on a test system. Try out an in-place upgrade and a side-by-side installation to see which works best for you. Also make sure to have backups of your database before doing any of this!

Another good source of information regarding upgrading to SQL 2008 can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=66d3e6f5-6902-4fdd-af75-9975aea5bea7&displaylang=en

Good luck with the upgrade!

Regards,

WilliamD

• But the database on SQL 2008 will be used in the production enviroment, SQL 2000 will be un-installed.

Is their a difference by keeping it along-side and upgrading (sorry but just a-bit confused)

• Hi Faiyaaz,

The difference between an inplace upgrade and a side-by-side installation is that the upgrade means you don't uninstall the 2000 instance, but effectively overwrite the 2000 installation.

When going from one version of SQL Server to the next I prefer to start from scratch and not do an upgrade. It may just be my paranoia, but an upgrade feels messier to me than a fresh install.

If I was in your position, and it was possible (time/money), I would have a brand new server with a fresh install of windows and sql 2008 and move the production system to that.

The next best option would be to do a fresh install of the current production system with sql 2008.

Again, this is all my preference and what I have been able to do in the past. When a newer version of SQL Server came out, our hardware was then reaching end of life and would be replaced anyway. I've been lucky I guess! 😀

Regards,

WilliamD

• Unfortunately they most def wont give a new server, would it be better to do the side by side upgrade, once this is done can i uninstall sql 2000.

Assuming side by side upgrade is moving the db accross from SQL 2000 to SQL 2008. The system db is their anyting that need to be done there I assume nothing.

Are there any scripts that need to be executed after restoring the db onto SQL2008

• Hi Faiyaaz,

you would need to make sure that any logins that exist on the 2000 installation are moved to the 2008 installation.

This can be done very easily with the following tool:

http://www.idera.com/Products/Free-Tools/SQL-permissions/

As I mentioned before, try the process out on a test system first. This is a nice safety net and allows you to check for any pitfalls.

Regards,

WilliamD

• Hi ,

This doc. will give u an idea of the migration stuff and considerations.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/solutions/public/white_papers/SQL_2000_SQL_2008_Migration_Guide.pdf

Thanks & Rgds.

Nitin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply