Upgraded SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008, but it still reports 2005

• OK, figured it out. When I ran the upgrade process, I appear to have neglected to run the process "as administrator". It ran perfectly, but failed key parts as a result (again, conjecture....) When I reran it today (as adiminstrator), it ran perfectly, and everything came out exactly correctly. As I suspected, it was my fault all along.

Thanks, guys for all your help, and hopefully, the tips and answers you gave will help others to diagnose their issues.

Jim

• In my opinion, this whole having to "Run as administrator" thing is actually one of the worst ideas to be adopted by Microsoft in many years. While I can see the good intentions behind the "Don't use it if you don't mean it" kind of thinking, my experience is that most admins are admins because they actually need to do admin work and requiring them to actually click "Run as admin" every time just creates a lot of hassle without really adding any security.

Kind regards,

Vegard Hagen
    Norwegian DBA, occasional blogger and generally a nice guy who believes the world is big enough for all of us.
    @vegard_hagen on Twitter
    Blog: Vegards corner (No actual SQL stuff here - havent found my niche yet. Maybe some day...)

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. (Chinese proverb)

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply