Upgraded SQL 2008 to 2016 years ago and never removed 2008 correctly.

• Upgraded SQL 2008 to 2016 years ago and never removed 2008 correctly and now on 2019 I am having issues uninstalling 2008. I removed the setup files by accident and now in the add remove programs is SQL 2008 but I can't get it uninstalled correctly. Is there a way to do this? Also, I have folders of 80, 90, 100, 110, 130, and 150. I know these are versions but can I delete the older versions 80 - 130? Same with the Program files (x86) folders? Data is on another drive.

• The biggest down side of an in-place upgrade is that is keeps things working, hence it may leave fixed issues open to keep it working with the settings of SQL2008.

That is the number 1 reason we always migrate in stead of in-place upgrade.

I have never tested for the situation you have now.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I found some articles using msiexec /x GUID and that seemed to work. Thanks for the reply.

• bswhipp wrote:

Upgraded SQL 2008 to 2016 years ago and never removed 2008 correctly and now on 2019 I am having issues uninstalling 2008. I removed the setup files by accident and now in the add remove programs is SQL 2008 but I can't get it uninstalled correctly. Is there a way to do this? Also, I have folders of 80, 90, 100, 110, 130, and 150. I know these are versions but can I delete the older versions 80 - 130? Same with the Program files (x86) folders? Data is on another drive.

You do not want to delete these folders.  A fresh install of SQL 2017 created 110, 120, 140 folders in the \Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server folder, and 110 and 140 in the \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server folder.

Depending upon what features you have installed, these may be needed.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply