Upgrade to SQL2017 compatibility Level 130(SQL2016)

• Hi,

I have been tasked with finding an appropriate solution to upgrade a database for an application from SQL2008R2 to SQL2017.

The vendor only supports the applications database up to SQL2016 and won't test if the database can run on 2017 at compatibility level 130.  If I were to download a developer edition for SQL2016 and upgrade the database in development, test and then migrate the database to SQL2017 at compatibility level 130 would this prevent any side effects that may occur by upgrading straight to SQL2017 at a compatibility 130?

I would of thought that this isn't required but if anyone knows if this would make sure there are no issues I would appreciate any input.

Thanks

• There likely won't be side effects any different at 2017 with a straight upgrade v go to 2016 then 2017. When you upgrade, the compat level ought to say down at 100 and then you can set it to 130 or 140 or whatever.

There is the DMA (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53595) that should tell you about potential issues. I'd check that, because while things might upgrade fine, they might not run. You ought to do more than upgrade. You need to actually execute some workload to check that code you expect to run works as expected.

• will the vendor support it on SQL 2017 with a lower compatibility level?  we had the same issue but the vendor wouldn't support it even if we validated it by testing.  you can also tell the vendor that you are going to evaluate other options to replace their product.  that might get quicker results. 🙂

• I'm in a unique situation where we have limited to no vendor choice in regards to this product.  I was hoping that there may be some user cases out there that could prove that if you test in a sub-production environment on the vendors recommended SQL Server Version that they would relax the rules in regards to running in a lower compatibility level.

The vendor has been very specific about running on a higher SQL Server Version (that they have not tested) and lowering the compatibility mode.  Using the Data Migration Wizard showed that everything within the database was ok, but the application used is producing adhoc errors when running in a User Acceptance Testing environment.  But seems to run fine on SQL2016 and then migrating to 2017 on a lower compatibility level but the vendor won't except this unless I find documentation to prove my case.

Thanks,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply