Upgrade to 2012 using restore database originally backed up using Redgate Sql backup 6

• We currently have several Sql Server 2005 and 2008 databases which are using Redgate Sql backup 6. We are upgrading these databases to Sql Server 2012 and I want to do a restore database from backup. We will not continue to use Redgate on our 2012 databases so my question is without it on the target servers, how to upgrade to 2012 using restore database from a .sqb backup file. I know we can convert to a .bak using the conversion tool supplied in Redgate, but the backups are striped and compressed, hence why we used Red Gate in the first place.

• It shouldn't be a problem using SQB2MTF, I've done this in the past and our backups are encrypted, 'Stripped' and compressed.

Of course I am assuming that by stripped you mean that when using SQB2MTF you end up with several files in the form of

MyDBBackup_1.Bak

MyDBBackup_2.Bak

MyDBBackup_3.Bak

In which case the command for restoring them is

RESTORE BACKUP MyDB FROM DISK = 'MyDBBackup_1.Bak', DISK = MyDBBackup_2.Bak, DISK = 'MyDBBackup_3.Bak'

Then Tack on any required Recovery Options using WITH

• I sure wish I had seen this answer a month ago when I was trying to do that very thing! Even Redgate could not tell me how to restore the multiple files created by their own tool! ARG!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply