upgrade sql 2014 to sql 2017 and skipping sql 2016?

• Hello,

When upgrading sql 2014 to 2017 can we skip upgrading sql 2014 to 2016 and just upgrading from sql 2014 to sql2017?  Or do we have to upgrade to sql 2016 first then upgrade again from 2016 to 2017?

Appreciate the help.

• JP10 - Tuesday, January 8, 2019 12:37 PM

Hello,

When upgrading sql 2014 to 2017 can we skip upgrading sql 2014 to 2016 and just upgrading from sql 2014 to sql2017?  Or do we have to upgrade to sql 2016 first then upgrade again from 2016 to 2017?

Appreciate the help.

Of course. Check this document for full details of supported upgrade paths.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Are you performing an in-place upgrade?  Or are you moving databases from an old to a new server?

If you are performing an in-place upgrade, it can be done but I probably would not do it.  For no other reason, there is no turning back if something fails.  I would suggest bringing up a new server with 2017 installed, and migrate the databases.
    If you are moving databases from 2014 to 2017, then that's no problem. 
    You should set the compatibility level once migrated, run DBCC CHECKDB, and update all stats once completed.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• If you are performing an in-place upgrade, it can be done but I probably would not do it. For no other reason, there is no turning back if something fails.

Unless it's a VM, in which case taking a snapshot and rolling back is perfectly feasible.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks for the link to upgrade path Phil.  @michael-2 yes it would be an in place upgrade.  Makes life easier if I can just skip the sql 2016 install.  Just wanted to make sure.  But, yes my push is to go down the side by side upgrade method.  I'm just in the planning stages right now.  Appreciate the help guys!

• Installing on a new VM allows you to take advantage of installing a newer OS version as well. Just one more thing to consider.
    Not so bad if you're current box is on Windows Server 2012 R2 but if it's on 2008 / 2008 R2 then how much longer is the OS going to be in mainstream support (if that matters to you).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply