Upgrade Sql 2012 Reporting Server DBs to Sql 2016

• What are the steps to upgrade the  Sql 2012 Reporting Server DBs to Sql 2016 versions?

TIA,

BD

• I did this recently on our test box.  I just used the SQL 2016 installer to do this.  I clicked on the upgrade button and let it do its magic.  It seemed to upgrade without any issue from 2012 to 2016.  After the upgrade, I installed SP1.

What I'd recommend doing though is:
    step 1 - BACKUP!!!
    step 2 - Verify your backup
    step 3 - if you don't have a test instance to upgrade, Install a test instance of SQL 2012 on a different machine (even your local machine if you don't have something else you can use) and SSRS 2012 and restore your backup onto there and restore the encryption keys and remove the Machine name of the old server.
    At this point, you should have a test system that works identically to live.  If not, go into the SSRS configuration manager and fix whatever is broken.
    Once you are happy that the test and live are working close enough, continue.
    step 4 - start up the SQL 2016 install wizard, select the upgrade button and select your test instance.
    step 5 - click next a few times until the install start
    step 6 - start up the SSRS configuration manager tool and verify everything looks good
    step 7 - test the upgraded report server to ensure no reports died in the upgrade

Once that is complete, you should be able to perform steps 4 through 7 on the live server.  
    With respect to step 1, if you are running on a VM, make sure to back up the VM as well.  It'll make things easier if you need to roll back.  
    With respect to step 2, running "RESTORE VERIFYONLY" is ok if you have no other options, but I STRONGLY encourage you to actually perform the restore.

The LIVE upgrade will cause downtime as the upgrade will stop the SSRS service and the SQL Server Service.  Make sure your end users know that this is happening.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply