Upgrade SQL 2008 R2 CTP to SQL 2008 R2 RTM

• Hi ,

I have an issue that one of production box has SQL Server 2008 R2 CTP evaluation version and also got expired. is there any possibility without uninstalling a SQL can i upgrade it to Enterprise edition.

another box has the same version but it is not expired how can i upgrade it to Enterprise edition RTM version without uninstalling SQL.

• You will need to use a command line installation. Please review the following document from Microsoft

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2020443

Chris Powell

George: You're kidding.
    Elroy: Nope.
    George: Then lie to me and say you're kidding.

• thank you. i have tried many ways to upgrade SQL 2008 R2 CTP after the trail period expired but none of the method got suceed.

can anyone tell me is there any way to upgrade the SQL 2008 R2 CTP to SQL 2008 R2 RTM.

• finally i have found the way to upgrade thank you guys

• Hi subbu,

In official documents it is stated that an upgrade from CTP versions to RTM versions is not supported.

I know there are ways of doing these especially in Windows OS, but not know for SQL.

Can you share how you upgraded it?

Thanks

• Hi Eralper,

Yes you are right. however if you try to upgrade the version from CTP to RTM the setup always shows that the upgrade sucesssfully completly. when you check the version it is really not upgraded the version.

i have checked the setup log file it is clearly mentioned that the the version can not be upgraded.

when we raise a call with microsoft they will help us,however it takes more time to resolve them so ,i have upgraded the system with the spare machine for the production server. and we have schedule this change for the staging server in next month. i will have more information after that and will give you more info.

• Thanks alot Subbu for your feedback.

I hope to hear good news from you

• Even if you can upgrade from a CTP to the RTM version, I would not do this on a production box.

Our experience is that CTP versions create objects on the server that do not exist in the RTM version but can affect the way that RTM runs. This does not happen on every CTP version, but there is no documentation to tell you when you might get hit by this. We would always re-install Windows on a box that has a SQL Server CTP installed before we try to install the RTM version.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• I echo what Ed stated. Not entirely sure how a CTP made it's way into production. We generally don't even touch the new product releases until a few CU's are out.

Glad you were able to find a workaround.

Regards,

Steve

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply