Upgrade SQL 2000 To SQL 2008 x64 IA

• Hello All,

I am going to upgrade our production from SQL server 2000 to SQL server 2008 x64 IA by using side-by-side method I have 2 Issue need your support which are:

Q1, I have a lot of DTS must migrate them to SSIS around 500 DTS and I need a sold way and smooth :), do i need to reschedule my DTS again after migrate them To SSIS??

Q2, I was looking for a way to sync databases between the 2 DBs Servers (2000, 2008)

Any idea/clue is welcome. Thanks in Advance

• you can use replication for synchronization.

for DTS to SSIS migration is the biggest challenge while ugrading SQL from 2000 to 2005/2008.. it wont be that straight forward..

First you can try to migrate using migration wizard given in the business intelligence studio..depending upon the complexity of DTS packages in most of the cases total re-rewite is required.

• you mean i will re-write 500 DTS again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• sqlguy-549681 (4/24/2010)

you mean i will re-write 500 DTS again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if they wont convert then yes!! Look at this way, your job should be safe for sometime 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• First of all use the 2008 upgrade advisor to give you an idea of the DTS issues you might face.

when you install 2008 also install the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility Components by either running SQLServer2005_BC*.msi from the media or downloading it from the 2008 feature pack:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=228DE03F-3B5A-428A-923F-58A033D316E1&displaylang=en

You can then continue to use and work with your DTS packages whilst you migrate them to SSIS at your leisure (some you may need to rewrite)

It is worth moving them all to SSIS in the long term.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• x64 or IA64 (Itanium)?

If Itanium, there are some things to consider re drivers and utilities. x64 code won't run on an Itanium, so you have to get Itanium versions of drivers and utilities that you want will need to run on the server (3rd party monitoring tools, 3rd party backup products, etc)

You may also want to note that Windows Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2008 R2 are the last last versions that will have Itanium versions. Microsoft is ending their support of the architecture.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I know that There is no 32-bit design-time or run-time support for DTS packages on Itanium-based operating systems. Therefore, I cannot create, view, modify, or run DTS packages on Itanium-based operating systems.

which means I MUST migrate all DTS to SSIS ,, please confirm

• GilaMonster (4/25/2010)

x64 or IA64 (Itanium)?

If Itanium, there are some things to consider re drivers and utilities. x64 code won't run on an Itanium, so you have to get Itanium versions of drivers and utilities that you want will need to run on the server (3rd party monitoring tools, 3rd party backup products, etc)

You may also want to note that Windows Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2008 R2 are the last last versions that will have Itanium versions. Microsoft is ending their support of the architecture.

IA64 (Itanium).

and I have already Installed windows 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2008 SP1 , and will start the Migration progress , so pls if you have any concerns regarding DTS migration would you pls mention and if I can use the DTS as it is on SQL 2008

• sqlguy-549681 (4/25/2010)

I know that There is no 32-bit design-time or run-time support for DTS packages on Itanium-based operating systems. Therefore, I cannot create, view, modify, or run DTS packages on Itanium-based operating systems.

Correct. There's no IA64 DTS runtime and Itanium servers cannot run x86 (32-bit) code except under software emulation (which is usually disabled because it's terribly slow)

You must also use IA64 versions of any ODBC/OLEDB drivers that you may need. Some are easy to get, some (like DB2/AS400) are not so easy to get. If your SSIS packages need to access other database engines (other than SQL), you may have some trouble.

Just to clarify a couple of points.

Itaniums don't run 32-bit code. They run IA64 machine code only. There's not that much software available for the Itaniums, relative to the x86 (32-bit) or x64 architectures.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• One thing you could do, what was done with the last Itanium server I worked with, is to set up a second server, an x86 or x64 machine with a second installation of SQL, and use that to run the DTS packages. It's double the licensing costs, but it means that you don't have to migrate the DTS packages immediately, you can do them bit by bit over time.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (4/25/2010)

sqlguy-549681 (4/25/2010)

I know that There is no 32-bit design-time or run-time support for DTS packages on Itanium-based operating systems. Therefore, I cannot create, view, modify, or run DTS packages on Itanium-based operating systems.

Correct. There's no IA64 DTS runtime and Itanium servers cannot run x86 (32-bit) code except under software emulation (which is usually disabled because it's terribly slow)

You must also use IA64 versions of any ODBC/OLEDB drivers that you may need. Some are easy to get, some (like DB2/AS400) are not so easy to get. If your SSIS packages need to access other database engines (other than SQL), you may have some trouble.

Just to clarify a couple of points.

Itaniums don't run 32-bit code. They run IA64 machine code only. There's not that much software available for the Itaniums, relative to the x86 (32-bit) or x64 architectures.

• One thing you might want to look into, with 500 DTS packages, is a product called DTS Exchange[/url]. We've been using it and having very good luck with it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Why are you planning to use IA64 instead of X64?

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• I would ask Ed's question as well. If you have a server, fine, but I believe that IA64 support ends with SQL 2008 R2.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply