Upgrade Sql 2000 to SQL 2008

• Are you clicking on the green arrow (Debug) instead of the red exclamation sign (Execute)?

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • NorthernSoul - Wednesday, February 7, 2018 7:14 AM

almirfiorio - Wednesday, February 7, 2018 7:05 AM

NorthernSoul - Wednesday, February 7, 2018 6:59 AM

almirfiorio - Wednesday, February 7, 2018 6:59 AM

Luis Cazares - Wednesday, February 7, 2018 6:47 AM

Jobs and logins are not part of the database, they're part of the instance (server).
    Jobs are stored in the msdb database and logins are stored in the master database. I believe that you shouldn't backup and restore those databases for an upgrade, but I might be wrong as I don't have real experience with upgrades.
    Some other things that you might want to consider:
    Roles, Linked Servers, Backup devices, Server wide triggers, etc.

im use Script Job as and try to apply in new database, but i mreceive and error

What error are you getting?

Thanks

See the error in image

Cannot execute Script : unable to start the Tansact-SQL debugger. the Transact-SQL debugger does not support SQL Server 2005 or earlier versions of SQL Server

What version of SSMS are you using and are you definitely connected to a SQL Server 2008 instance?

Thanks

I was able to download the logins 

I used this method:
    In the Object Explorer pane, expand the Security folder, and highlight the Logins folder.
    Using the standard Windows multi-select key combinations (Ctrl key or Shift key), highlight the logins you are interested in migrating.
    Right-click the highlighted logins, and select Script Login as | CREATE To 
    On the Connect to Database Engine screen,
    change the Server name to your SQL Server 2008 server. Click Connect.

Now im want to backup and restore jobs !!!
    anybody can help me ?

Thanks
    Almir

• NorthernSoul - Wednesday, February 7, 2018 5:19 AM

Which objects have not been restored? You can bring the logins across using sp_help_revlogin and as for the jobs you can just script those out.

Thnanks

Dear Friend

im backuped and restore this database with sucess in sql 2008
    logins, jobs, store procedures, views are ok!!! but im need to restore DTS

How im can backup DTS to restore in sql 2008?
    and after this im can restore DTS in SQL 2012?

Thanks
    Almir

• almirfiorio - Thursday, February 8, 2018 6:46 AM

NorthernSoul - Wednesday, February 7, 2018 5:19 AM

Which objects have not been restored? You can bring the logins across using sp_help_revlogin and as for the jobs you can just script those out.

Thnanks

Dear Friend

Thanks
    Almir

You will need to migrate your DTS packages to SSIS packages. There is a migration wizard within SSIS which should make this relatively pain free but as I don't think I've ever had to do this either have a look on Google or possibly someone else on here will be able to help you.

Thanks

• NorthernSoul - Thursday, February 8, 2018 7:08 AM

almirfiorio - Thursday, February 8, 2018 6:46 AM

NorthernSoul - Wednesday, February 7, 2018 5:19 AM

Thnanks

Dear Friend

Thanks
    Almir

You will need to migrate your DTS packages to SSIS packages. There is a migration wizard within SSIS which should make this relatively pain free but as I don't think I've ever had to do this either have a look on Google or possibly someone else on here will be able to help you.

Thanks

ok
    I am still trying to migrate the dts to sql 2008, so I then try to migrate to SSIS in sql 2012

• almirfiorio - Thursday, February 8, 2018 8:04 AM

NorthernSoul - Thursday, February 8, 2018 7:08 AM

Dear Friend

Thanks
    Almir

Thanks

ok
    I am still trying to migrate the dts to sql 2008, so I then try to migrate to SSIS in sql 2012

Do you have the compatibility patch to support DTS in 2008? With that, you might be able to import them.
    I wouldn't trust completely the migration wizard as there were major changes from DTS to DTSX and they might not translate correctly.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares - Thursday, February 8, 2018 8:15 AM

Do you have the compatibility patch to support DTS in 2008? With that, you might be able to import them.
    I wouldn't trust completely the migration wizard as there were major changes from DTS to DTSX and they might not translate correctly.

Dear Friend

In sql im try to this step : right-click the Data Transformation Services node in Object Explorer under Management\Legacy, and select Migration Wizard.

but im receive this error

in what place im can download this patch ?
    Thanks
    Almir

• Luis Cazares - Thursday, February 8, 2018 8:15 AM

almirfiorio - Thursday, February 8, 2018 8:04 AM

NorthernSoul - Thursday, February 8, 2018 7:08 AM

Dear Friend

Thanks
    Almir

Thanks

ok

im install the patch and migration wizar work fine
    But the DTS does not appears in sql 2008

how im an see the DTS in sql server 2008 ?

Thanks
    Almir

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply