Upgrade now to Sql Server 2016 or wait for Sql Server vNext?

• Our organization plan to upgrade from Sql Server 2012 to 2016 (perhaps within one month). We have freshly installed (virtual) servers for this purpose. Should we proceed with these plans or should we wait for Sql Server vNext? There are functions in vNext we wish to use, e.g. PowerBI published to local SSRS. Do we have to repeat the whole process with setting up new servers and Sql Server installation with vNext? Or can we expect the upgrade process to be smooth like the application of a SP ?

Best Regards,
    Runar Emgård

• I don't know if a release date is set for vNext....if not I say go with 2016 now to get all the performance benefits from all the engine work that was done.   Then bump to vNext when it is released and known to be stable.

Just an opinion 🙂

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Standing in the gap between Consultant and ContractorKevin3NFDallasDBAs.com/BlogWhy is my SQL Log File HUGE?!?![/url]The future of the DBA role...[/url]SQL Security Model in Plain English[/url]

• I'd agree, given that mainstream support ends for 2012 its wise to get off that. This is exactly what we are doing, as has been said Vnext has no date so you could be waiting a while. I plan to jump 2012 to 2016 then when vNext is on SP1 look at that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply