upgrade/migrate from SSRS 2014 to SSRS 2019

• I'm currently running SQL Server 2014 (Enterprise Edition) using SSRS 2014 (Native mode) to create reports for my employer. I am also using Visual Studio 2013 Shell (Integrated) to create my reports. I'm wanting to know if I can upgrade the SSRS 2014 (Native mode) to SSRS 2019 (Native mode) while still keeping my SQL Server on the 2014 version? If I can, what pitfalls might I run across?

1) will my SSRS 2014 reports run as is once the upgrade to SSRS 2019 has been completed or will I need to rewrite my reports?

2) will there be a significant down-time for my users - time they will not be able to access current reports?

3) can SSRS 2014 be ran along side SSRS 2019 or is it best to just do the upgrade that way I'm only running one version?

4) will I need to also upgrade my Visual Studio software? If so, what version is best to use?

5) Is there any step by step instructions to do this as I'm not a DBA, so I'm leary doing this especially in my production environment...Would I be better to spin up an entirely new server, install SQL Server 2014 on that then install SSRS 2019 and then copy over my SSRS 2014 files to the new server? Once I'm comfortable that SSRS 2019 is working as I expect and my reports are still ok, then move my end-users to the new server?

Other items I should be aware of?

Thanks!!!

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• 1) will my SSRS 2014 reports run as is once the upgrade to SSRS 2019 has been completed or will I need to rewrite my reports?

I suppose the most reports will run. We had to test for layout changes, fonts , custom dll's, subscriptions, reports with oracle-statements ( change in interpreting comments ).

2) will there be a significant down-time for my users - time they will not be able to access current reports?

Try it out on a test environment. We had some downtime whilst migrating sharepoint 2012 to SSRS 2019 but that was including renaming reports, re-setup subscriptions.

SSRS 2019 database has to be 2012 or later. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/install-windows/ssrs-report-server-create-a-report-server-database?view=sql-server-ver15

3) can SSRS 2014 be ran along side SSRS 2019 or is it best to just do the upgrade that way I'm only running one version?

Since 2017, only one instance of SSRS is allowed on the server (installs as instance SSRS)

4) will I need to also upgrade my Visual Studio software? If so, what version is best to use?

We mostly use the Report Builder, no experience with Visual Studio report deployments. I suppose VS 2019 would work best with SSRS 2019

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply