Upgrade from SQL 2005 SP1 to SQL 2008 R2 SP3

• Hi, I have a situation where an old Classic ASP application (did I say old?:P) is running on win2003 and SQL 2005 Ent SP1. with 2 v small databases.  There is a short term solution to upgrade to an Azure based VM (IaaS) using Windows Server 2008 R2 and SQL 2008 R2. (No questions on this, it just is, not my decision).

I have the following MS page detailing supported upgrade edition and levels.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/sql/sql-server-2008-r2/ms143393(v=sql.105)

So from the above link I would need to install SP2 for SQL 2005 before moving to SQL 2008, however the existing system is live and very business critical and very old.  There is a reluctance to patch it as it may not come back up after a reboot.  So my question is can I still move the dbs to SQL 2008 R2 *without* patching to the "supported" level. (SP2 for SQL 2005)  Anyone else performed this?  I understand this is slighty academic as SQL2005 is no longer supported by MS.  I suppose I am asking on a SQL architectural level, would the databases still work?

Kind Regards,

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • I would shut down the SQL 2005 services after making a full backup and log backup, and then make a full OS backup with the SQL Server services down.   Then I'd be comfortable patching the SQL Server 2005 version, as I'd have a means to "go back" to where I was before I started.  Definitely a weekend or other off-hours activity.   I would advise against trying to NOT patch the SQL 2005 instance.   You really do need that service pack.   Just be darned sure you have a way to go back the beginning and start over.

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

• Thank you Steve, that is a great idea.  However the business is *very* reluctant in touching the existing live system (unfortunately it is running as prod with IIS and SQL on the same server!) .

The other idea was to install an instance of SQL 2005 on the Win 2008 server, apply SP2 or even SP4 for 2005 then move to SQL 2008. Then remove the 2005 instance.

Cheers

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • quackhandle1975 - Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:59 AM

Thank you Steve, that is a great idea.  However the business is *very* reluctant in touching the existing live system (unfortunately it is running as prod with IIS and SQL on the same server!) .

The other idea was to install an instance of SQL 2005 on the Win 2008 server, apply SP2 or even SP4 for 2005 then move to SQL 2008. Then remove the 2005 instance.

Cheers

qh

That's not a bad idea either.   That way you can backup the database and restore it on the 2005 instance, and then back it up on the new 2005 instance and restore it on the 2008 instance.  I would use the SP4 of SQL 2005 before I'd use SP2.   Those two additional service packs likely contain a BUNCH of fixes well worth "investing" in...

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply