Upgrade 2008 r2 Cluster to SQl 2012 Always on (with SAN)

• I can't find anything which demonstrates best practise while doing an in-line upgrade of 3 node cluster Active - Passive - Passive sql 2008 R2 cluster to SQL 2012 (always on).

Does anyone have any websites or advice. Tried google etc. I couldn't find anything comprehensive.

Regards

Rob

• Bobby Glover (6/3/2012)

I can't find anything which demonstrates best practise while doing an in-line upgrade of 3 node cluster Active - Passive - Passive sql 2008 R2 cluster to SQL 2012 (always on).

Does anyone have any websites or advice. Tried google etc. I couldn't find anything comprehensive.

Regards

Rob

The two are totally different that's possibly why you haven't found anything, Although a fail over cluster instance of SQL server can participate as an availability replica in an AlwaysOn group.

AO does not use or require shared storage, what configuration are you trying to achieve and what is the current configuration (number o installed instances) of the 3 node cluster?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I had a discussion with another user regarding AO and fail over clusters, you can follow the topic at this link[/url]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Bringing this up again.

Is it as I have suggested below.

2 Types of always on

FCI and AO Groups

FCI, modification of clustering which already exists, needs shared storeage or can use Shared storage.

Doesn't allow you to have a READ-ONLY copy of the Primary database for Reporting functionality. Instance level failover.

AO Groups -Selected dbs to form a HA group, Doesn't use SAN storage. Although 1 node can be in on a SAN. Servers need to be identical and more importantly does support a Read only copy of the DB for Reporting purposes (up to the minute data).

READ ONLY COPY OF DB ONLY AVAILABLE IN AO GROUP?

• Bobby Glover (7/19/2012)

Bringing this up again.

Is it as I have suggested below.

2 Types of always on

FCI and AO Groups

FCI, modification of clustering which already exists, needs shared storeage or can use Shared storage.

Doesn't allow you to have a READ-ONLY copy of the Primary database for Reporting functionality. Instance level failover.

AO Groups -Selected dbs to form a HA group, Doesn't use SAN storage. Although 1 node can be in on a SAN. Servers need to be identical and more importantly does support a Read only copy of the DB for Reporting purposes (up to the minute data).

READ ONLY COPY OF DB ONLY AVAILABLE IN AO GROUP?

I think you may be getting confused, did you read the link i posted detailing a previous conversation i had on this topic.

you have a 3 node cluster, how many clustered instances of SQL Server do you have running and which nodes are included as partners?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply