updating the last two spaces of a column

• Basically what I am trying to achieve is to update the last two character spaces of a column which is defined as varchar(40),

my update statement looks like this

UPDATE Vehicle SET Version = 'fiesta zetec 1.2 BT' WHERE unitnr = '140'

Instead of this statement, I am looking for a way of appending the letters 'BT' to the end of the version column. Is there an easy way of doing this?

• DECLARE @Version Varchar(50)

SET @Version = 'fiesta zetec 1.2';

SET @Version = @Version + ' BT';

SELECT @Version;

Or have I misunderstood the question?

• Simply do a string concatination on the existing version value.

update vehicle set version = version + ' BT' where unitnr = '140'

• UPDATE Vehicle

SET Version = Version + ' BT'

WHERE unitnr = '140'

The SQL Guy @ blogspot[/url]

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me[/url]

• thomasrichardson2000 (9/3/2012)

Basically what I am trying to achieve is to update the last two character spaces of a column which is defined as varchar(40),

my update statement looks like this

UPDATE Vehicle SET Version = 'fiesta zetec 1.2 BT' WHERE unitnr = '140'

Instead of this statement, I am looking for a way of appending the letters 'BT' to the end of the version column. Is there an easy way of doing this?

If did not get the answer, please elaborate with example.

--rhythmk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    To post your question use below link

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/forum-etiquette-how-to-post-datacode-on-a-forum-to-get-the-best-help
    πŸ™‚

• Thanks so far, I will clarify further. The requirement is that i update the version field with the letters 'BT' at the end, So if the column is defined as varchar(40) they want the letters 'BT' to be the last 2 characters in the field, so If varchar(40) has space for 40 characters they want 'BT' to be character 39 and 40. I hope this makes sense.

• DECLARE @Version char(40)

SET @Version = CAST(@Version AS Char(38)) + 'BT';

SELECT @Version;

One method - there will be others.

Thanks so far, I will clarify further. The requirement is that i update the version field with the letters 'BT' at the end, So if the column is defined as varchar(40) they want the letters 'BT' to be the last 2 characters in the field, so If varchar(40) has space for 40 characters they want 'BT' to be character 39 and 40. I hope this makes sense.

Try this

DECLARE @Version char(40)

SET @Version =SUBSTRING(@Version,1,38) + 'BT';

SELECT @Version

--rhythmk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    To post your question use below link

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/forum-etiquette-how-to-post-datacode-on-a-forum-to-get-the-best-help
    πŸ™‚

Thanks so far, I will clarify further. The requirement is that i update the version field with the letters 'BT' at the end, So if the column is defined as varchar(40) they want the letters 'BT' to be the last 2 characters in the field, so If varchar(40) has space for 40 characters they want 'BT' to be character 39 and 40. I hope this makes sense.

Maintaining datatype of @Version:

DECLARE @Version Varchar(40)

SET @Version = LEFT(@Version + SPACE(40),38) + 'BT';

SELECT @Version;

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply