Updating Shared Datasets

• I have a shared dataset that uses a stored procedure. I recently added a new, optional parameter to the stored procedure. If I go to the dataset properties and click "refresh fields," it does not "discover" the new parameter. When I try running the report, I get a rsUnknownDataSetParameter error.

Is there anyway (short of recreating the dataset and re-sharing it) to update the shared dataset so it detects the new parameter?

• Make the changes and rerun your shared dataset to update it, then refresh your embedded dataset.

• Jaselnewpar (5/20/2011)

Make the changes and rerun your shared dataset to update it, then refresh your embedded dataset.

Sorry, I'm new to SSRS, so please forgive my ignorance. How do I "rerun" my shared dataset? I think that is exactly the piece that I am missing.

The only way I have been able to get the shared dataset to recognize the changes to the Stored Procedure is to delete the shared dataset and re-create it. Even then, once I have the new shared dataset with the new parameters, and I go to my embedded dataset and click "refresh fields," it will not find the new parameters (which I imagine is by design--the new parameters are not "fields", per se). If I add a new dataset to the report using the shared dataset, the new parameters are listed as expected.

So I guess there are two parts I am unclear on:

1. How to rerun the shared dataset without recreating it

2. Once the shared dataset is rerun, how do I refresh the embedded dataset to recognize the new parameters (without recreating it)

• Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you.

In the top right of visual studio you'll have your solution explorer with your project in it. In your project you'll have the shared datasets.

Simply double click the dataset, change your query or procedure in the SQL editor and hit the exclamation to run it and return results.

Hit OK now go over to the left under report data and open up your embedded datasets. Click the refresh fields and you should be good to go. Your parameters (variable in your SQL or procedures) should auto populate.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply